Stereocard view of the Mill River Flood


Stereocard view of the Mill River Flood

Author Unknown

Regular price $30.00 Sale

Flood took place in May 1874 in the hills of western Massachusetts when the Williamsburg Reservoir Company`s poorly constructed dam burst. Four mill villages were washed away, leaving acres of debris such as this photo shows. 139 people were dead, 740 were homesless, and the villages of Williamsburg, Skinnerville, Haydenville and Leeds were washed away. In 1875, as a result of this disaster, Massachusetts passed its first legislation regarding reservoir dam design, construction and liability.

Publication Info

  • Publisher: n/a
  • Edition: n/a
  • Date Published: nd. ca. 1874
  • Place Published: n/a
  • ISBN: n/a


  • Condition: Very good
  • Signed: No
  • Dust Jacket: No
  • Jacket Condition: n/a
  • Details:
    9 x 18 cm card with b&w photos on orange background. Reverse has ink stamp for The Treadwell Collection and ink notation. Pencil inscription states Main St., Haydenville. Some light wear to edges and faint soiling to rear.

Share the book love

Have a Question about this item?