Photos of Gowganda, Timiskaming District, Northern Ontario
Gowganda developed in the 1900s at the outlet of the Montreal River from Lake Gowganda, Nicol Township, Timiskaming District. A silver mining centre, it had at least three banks, a log hospital, Baxters Hotel, Prospect Hotel, and a main steet with a realtor, druggist, and dry goods shop among other businesses. It sprang up almost over night as men from all over the continent rushed to stake a claim. Prospectors, miners and investors travelled by way of rail from North Bay to the end of the rail line at Charlton, then hiked 55 miles to their destination, through virgin forest, swamps, black flies, mosquitoes, and blizzards, carrying their packs on their backs. By 1909 a road was built and horses were used to haul supplies. Prospecting was slowing down by the 1920s, but local mines still produced 5,000,000 ounces of silver in 1921. From then on the population dwindled, few new mines opened and many didn't last. One mine remained open until 1972 after almost 63 years of continuous operation. But this was the end of Gowganda as a mining town. People were forced to move out and find new employment elsewhere. Remains of some of the old mines are still to be found near the remains of this community on Hwy. 560.
Date Published: ca. 1900s
Place Published: n/a
Condition: Very good
Dust Jacket: No
Jacket Condition: n/a
Details: 26 b&w photos, four labelled. Most are postcard sized, 8.5 x 14 cm. Attached to 28 x 34 cm black board, warped with tears at bottom and one chipped corner.