Shipshaw, Quebec was founded in 1868 and amalgamated into Saguenay in 2002. This album is a collection of World War II-era newspapers, clippings and photos presumably assembled by a resident of Shipshaw. About half of the text is French. There is an emphasis on the growth of industry in the village as well as the latest moves in the war. Photos and clippings include turbines, the dam, group shots, the river, statistics, a topographical map of the river basin, interiors of the Saguenay Inn, prominent society members, scenic views, dynamite explosion, aluminium mining, and a panoramic postcard of Roberval. Supplement from September 26, 1942 about the visit to Shipshaw of Governor-General the Earl of Athlone.
Details: The first part of this binder contains 41 copies of the Shipshaw News Digest dating from September 12, 1942 to August 28, 1943. Editor in Chief was Bud Rudd and French editor was Leo Scharry. Remainder of the binder is a scrapbook, including photographs and clippings from the Shipshaw area. Green cloth binder, edges darkened, 2 rings not closing properly. Some of the News Digest clippings are brittle and loose. Label of "F. Kraemer" inside front cover of binder. Paper browened and brittle.