Album du Musee de Sculpture Comparee (Palais du Trocadero)
MARCOU, P. Frantz
It was the architect Eugene Viollet-le-Duc who first suggested gathering reproductions of French sculpture and architecture at a single site in the palais du Trocadero, in buildings left vacant after the Exposition universelle in 1878. His proposal was accepted and Alexandre du Sommerard was put in charge of forming the muse de la Sculpture comparee. The institution opened its four rooms to the public on May 28, 1882, three more in 1886 and finally a library in 1889. In 1937 this museum became the musee des Monuments francais and it now forms part of the Cite de l'Architecture et du Patrimoine.
Publisher: Librairie Generale de l'Architecture et des Arts Decoratifs/Librairie des Arts Industriels et Decoratifs
Date Published: c. 1900
Place Published: Paris
Dust Jacket: No
Jacket Condition: n/a
Details: 5 vols. 47 cm. Vol. 1: 76 b&w plates complete; vol. 2: 85 complete; vol. 3: 56 complete; vol. 4: 83 of 86 plates present (missing 34, 35, 61); vol. 5: 52 of 54 plates present (missing 12 & 13). Altogether 352 of 357 plates present. Red cloth spines with grey paper covered boards. Spines deteriorating, especially in vol. 4 which has split apart. Boards soiled and worn. Tied with laces. Vol. 4's rear laces missing. Pencil signatures at tops of front covers. A few plates have rough edges. A heavy set which will require extra shipping.