Photographs of Independent Order of Foresters Orphans Home, Oakville, Ontario

INVENTORY #124937

Photographs of Independent Order of Foresters Orphans Home, Oakville, Ontario

James and Sons

Regular price $150.00 Sale

In the early 1900s, the Independent Order of Foresters chose Oakville as the new location for their orphans' home. Located at 53 Bond Street, the home was part of their plan to care for children of deceased members. The first page of this booklet explains how the first home was founded by Dr. Oronhyatekha in 1905 but, that site being "unsuitable," this new home was built in Oakville in 1914-1915. The home home at that time had 48 children residents under superintendant J. C. Morgan. The two-and-a-half-storey main building is shown in this booklet along with scenes of the facilities inside and the surrounding land. It was commissioned for military use during the Second World War. Since 1972, it has been owned by the provincial government and provides residential care and community based support for people with developmental disabilities.

Publication Info

  • Publisher: James and Sons
  • Edition: n/a
  • Date Published: nd. ca. 1915
  • Place Published: Toronto
  • ISBN: n/a

Details

  • Condition: Near fine
  • Signed: No
  • Dust Jacket: No
  • Jacket Condition: n/a
  • Details:
    Unpaginated booklet has 12 leaves. 9 x 16 cm staplebound booklet with green card covers and pages. 12 pasted-in b&w photos show children in front of school, gymnasium, swimming pool, dining room, Boy Scouts, working on home farm, baseball practice, etc.

Share the book love

Have a Question about this item?