Jubilee history of Thorold Township and Town From the Time of the Red Man to the Present
Thorold and Beaverdams Historical Society
The earliest communities in what is now Thorold emerged at Beaverdams, DeCew Falls and St. Johns but, after the opening of the First Welland Canal in 1829, they were superseded by the new canal villages of Thorold, Allanburg and Port Robinson. Thorold, located on the brow of the Niagara Escarpment, soon became dominant, being incorporated as a village in 1850 and a town in 1870. When the Regional Municipality of Niagara was formed in 1970, the Town of Thorold expanded to include the former Thorold Township. Topics include: topography, geology and archaeology; settlement; American occupation; skirmish at Beaverdams; canal towns; Fenian raids; agriculture; Welland canals; municipal history; churches; schools; books and newspapers; military history; lodges and societies.
- Publisher: Published by John H. Thompson for the Thorold and Beaverdams Historical Society
- Edition: n/a
- Date Published: 1897
- Place Published: Thorold
- ISBN: n/a
- Condition: Good +
- Signed: No
- Dust Jacket: No
- Jacket Condition: n/a
, 212, 77 p. + plates. 23 cm. 212 b&w illustrations. Blue cloth hardcover with gold print. Spine faded and head repaired. Ink signature on a front endpaper. A few ink marks on top edge of text block.