Daniel Macfie's dry goods establishment was located at the corner of Dundas and Talbot streets, London, Ontario from at least 1856, at which time John Harrison was a clerk. The business continued at that location until at least 1864. Letterhead at rear is for F. D. Macfie & Co., likely a relative, who sold coal and building supplies on Burwell Street ca. 1900s. The owner of this shop is likely the Daniel Macfie who became a London alderman in the 1860s, was president and manager of Carling Brewery after it became a joint stock company in 1882, and was president of Ontario Investment Association, organized in May, 1880. Furthermore, the Dominion Savings & Investment Co. was organized about 1875 and a Daniel Macfie was one of the "principal promoters." He and Mrs. Macfie lived in Old South and he was Chairman of Board of Managers of Knox Church in 1884. As for John Harrison, a man by that name was city alderman in 1863 and master of Kilwinning masonic lodge in 1860.
Date Published: 1860-1905
Place Published: London, Ontario
Dust Jacket: No
Jacket Condition: n/a
Details: Unpaginated 20 cm leather ledger. Marbled endpapers and text block edges. Metal clasp missing, corners worn. Used intermittently. Letterhead examples at rear for F. D. Macfie & Co., Coal merchants, Burwell Street, London, Ontario, Canada. Another note from D. McKenzie & Co., 298 Richmond Street, who repaired light machinery and bicycles.